- Masters in Environmental Studies, Urban Planning, York University
- Post Graduate, Sociology of Culture and History, Carleton University
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, magna cum laude, University of Ottawa, 1999
- Certificate in Fine Arts, St. Lawrence College, 1997
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Architecture, Carleton University
- Developing Learning Activities for Adults, St. Francis Xavier U., N.S.
PROFESSIONAL TEACHING (Freelance)
- Business of Art for Carvers, Fibre Artists and Printmakers, Ulukhaktok, Northwest Territories, 2013
- Knowing Your Art - Pushing Boundaries, Workshop, Ottawa 2012
- Mid Career Business of Art for Visual Artists Seminar/Workshop, Ottawa 2009
- Contemporary Visual Art Discourse: how we see and human identity. Learning in Retirement, Initiatives in Education Centre, Carleton U. 2009
- The Business of Art for Canadian Visual Artists, B.O.A.T. Business of Art Training Inc. - a series of twelve, two and five-day workshops held at University of Ottawa, Ottawa Council for the Arts, 2000-2006
- Business of Art for Canadian Visual Artists, a series of four two-day workshops in Halifax (2), Annapolis Royal and Sydney. Visual Arts Nova Scotia. 2006
- Contemporary Visual Art in Canada, Xi'ian Academy of Fine Art, China. In conjunction with a solo exhibition of my paintings, photograph and videos at the Xi'ian Academy Gallery, China. 2004
- Contemporary Visual Art in Canada, Xi'ian Institute of Technology and Design, China (see photos below). 2004
- Introduction to Legal and Economic Structures of Arts Administration in Canada. Visual Arts, Theatre and Music. University of Ottawa. 2001
- Business of Art, two-day workshop, Art Kolectif Media, Ottawa 2003.
- Getting it Together, Developing Your Business of Art, Media & Design, Algonquin College. 2000 and 2001
- Art Smart, The Business of Art, Brookfield Highschool, Continuing Education, Ottawa-Carleton School Board. Four 6-week courses 1999 to 2000.
- Hot Tips for Collecting Art, Living Art Festival, Rails End Gallery, Halliburton Ontario. 2008
- Life Drawing Direct Painting Demonstration, Xi'ian Academy of Fine Art, Xi'ian China. 2004
- Topics in The Business of Art, Ottawa Mixed-Media Association. 2003
- Mixing Colour Pigments, Demonstration, Centre 454 Bytown Art Group. 2001
- Managing Your Career in the Arts, Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC), National Conference and Round Table. 2001
- Photo Documentation of Artwork, Centre 454 Bytown Art Group. 2001
- The Business of Art for Visual Artists, Panelist and Exhibitor, Careers in the Arts Fair. 2000 & 2001
- How to Research Aesthetic References for Visual Artists, Slide Presentation and Talk, Art East Artists Association. 2000
- The Business of Art - Visual Artists in Canada, Fourth Edition ©2012 by Sandra M. Hawkins, Author and Publisher, Textbook. ISBN 978-0-9731049-2-9
- The Business of Art for Canadian Visual Artists, Third Edition, ©2005 by Sandra M. Hawkins, Author and Publisher. Textbook. ISBN 0-9731049-1-0
- The Business of Art for Canadian Visual Artists, 2nd ed., by Sandra M. Hawkins, Author and Publisher. Textbook ISBN 0-9731049-0-2 ©2002.
- The Business of Art for Visual Artists Course Syllabus, Author and publisher, ©2000
PROFESSIONAL ARTIST RECOGNITION
- SOLO EXHIBITIONS: in Canada, United States, Colombia, China, Hungary, Germany, Russia, Morroco. Jury process. 1998 to 2009.
- Self Directed Creative Residency, Banff Centre for the Arts, Alberta Canada, 2009.
- International Artist Residency, Hungarian Multicultural Centre (HMC), Budapest Hungary, 2008.
- Ontario Exhibitions Assistance awards on recommendations of galleries. 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2009.
- Foreign Affairs Canada Assistance on recommendation of galleries.
- Corporate and private collections in Canada and Internationally.
- Premier’s Award Nominee by St. Lawrence College for demonstrated excellence in the field of creative arts and contribution to the community and the province as a whole. 2005.
- National Gallery of Canada, Crossings Contemporary Installations Exhibition, Internship. 1998.
- Ottawa Art Gallery, Communications Survey Research, Internship, 1998.
- Boards of Directors for CARFAC Ontario and National; and Gallery 101, Artist-Run Centre.
MEDIA INTERVIEWS: THE BUSINESS OF ART
Return to top