Blog: Business of Art Training inc./B.O.A.T. inc.
TV Interview re General Workshop
Business of Art Training inc./B.O.A.T. inc. - a nonprofit organization assisting emerging and mid career visual artists to identify and access the market place appropriate to their art.
Training Services and Products
1. Business of Art for Visual Artists Workshops, comprehensive; all sectors; pricing factors; contracts & copyrights; hands-on role-play succeeding with juries exercises.
2. Mid-Career Business of Art for Visual/Media Artists Seminar/Workshops
3. Customized Workshops and Presentations for artists and organizations
4. The Business of Art for Visual Artists Workbook, hands-on exercises
5. The Business of Art for Canadian Visual Artists Textbook, for artists and agents
6. Module Series on CD with self-learning exercises. (Coming soon)
The Business of Art for Visual Artists Workshop Topics
1. Know your art to find your audience
2. Studio-marketplace relationships
3. Developing, organizing and selecting photo documentation for
4. Taxes and insurances
and copyright fees
6. Pricing factors
7. Protecting Your Legal
Artist statement, bio, and resume
9. Proposal Submissions
10. Succeeding with juries
11. Staging exhibitions
non commercial exhibitions
13. Media relations and promotions
Developing a marketing plan and strategy.
Approach: Visual presentations,
role-play exercises, group discussion and constructive feedback
to assist the individual artist and their agents to locate
and access the market place appropriate for their art and
their lifestyle. All levels and medium are welcome. Reviews
by participants over the past seven years are listed at Reviews.
Mid Career Business of Art for Visual/Media Artists
1. The mid career artist has a minimum of three solo exhibitions in professional public/non profit galleries where a fee has been paid for the use of their exhibition copyright; and/or has professional representation in commercial art galleries in which their art has been featured.
2. The mid career artist may be missing some of the topic content covered in the more comprehensive Business of Art for Visual Artists Workshop described above. Mid career artists are advised to either take this workshop, and/or review the book, The
Business of Art for Canadian Visual Arts prior to taking the Mid Career Seminar/Workshop.
3. The mid career artist is aware of the aesthetic and market location of their art practice.
4. The seminar/workshop approach involves facilitative individual and group exercises and feedback toward participants leaving the workshop with at least one goal and viable strategies to move forward in their career.
1. Customized workshops for art organizations and informal artist groups (minimum of six) focus on membership priorities and scheduling. Travel expenses outside of
Ottawa are to be reimbursed separately. The Business of Art for Visual Artists Workbook is included.
Customized Presentations and Public Speaking
1. Conferences, Symposiums, Professional Events: $500 plus
2. Post secondary school lecturer on contemporary art and society
3. Community arts events targeting art collectors, artists and the general public